Unit 2 Assignment
Discourse is a very complex concept in which it presents a plethora of meanings behind it. Depicting countless experiences and life-altering occurrences in everyday life. Discourse shapes our culture and develops belonging in the world. Discourse presents us with our key values and shapes our views on the world. It develops our personality and forms our sense of individuality. I would consider my main sense of belonging and discourse to be in the hands of the sport that I have participated in my whole life. I have been cheerleading sense the young age of 5 and have shaped my life around my participation and involvement in the sport. Specifically, I had two discourses clash when I obtained a significant head injury my freshman year of high school. The clashing discourse between my pursuit of success in cheerleading and the inherent risk of injury underscores the need for a balanced approach that values my health without compromising my athletic ambitions.
Cheerleading
has morphed from a low intensity, sideline activity to a highly competitive
sport that incorporates stunts, tumbling, intricate routines, and teamwork. Cheerleading is growing in popularity, including
millions of participants with emphasis on its athletic aspect. The respect and
recognition for the sport has recently flourished throughout the athletic
community. The evolution of cheerleading is evident as it morphs from chants
and sideline cheering for other teams to a competitive endeavor. Athletes
involved are required to perform physically demanding routines. Through this
elevation of difficulty and competition within cheerleading it not only became
my discourse and my source of belonging it became my passion. The increasing
difficulty pursuing world championships has brought the sport under increased
scrutiny regarding the safety of participants. A lot of these injuries are
results of falls, collisions, failed stunts, and many other unpredictable occurrences.
With this newfound recognition there has
been rising concern about its safety and the excessive injury seen within the
sport. Cheerleading is ranked in the top 3 for injury prone sports in the
world. Given all of the dangerous sports that are included on this list it
shows the excessive injury that occurs and the lack of safety precautions that
are able to be incorporated to improve the safety of athletes. Because of these
circumstances cheerleaders have serious injuries daily. Head injuries such as
concussions are extremely popular injuries among cheerleaders. After my injury
I experienced a range of emotional and psychological impacts. I was toggling
between frustration, depression, fear, and anxiety. I struggled with an overbearing
worry that I would never be able to compete again.
In my
personal experience my head injury was a result of a mistake in a stunt. Flukes
and mistakes are common in a routine but sometimes these mistakes lead to much
more serious consequences. I was flying in stunt and doing the dismount and a
combination of an incorrect throw and me starting the spin at the wrong time
caused us to fall out of the stunt and I hit my head on my back spots shoulder.
At first, I didn’t realize the severity of this fall and attempted to continue with
practice despite my nose bleeding. It was an important few weeks as it was only
three weeks before we left to compete at the Cheerleading World Championships
at ESPN in Orlando. Therefore, any injuries would be detrimental for our team.
Sense cheerleading is a very team-oriented sport where each person plays a
specific individual role it is not an easy task to replace any individual that
is on the team. I later informed my mom of what had happened, and she took me into
urgent care to make sure I was okay. We later found out that I had a severe
concussion, had shattered both sides of my nose, and had to get four stitches
on my nose. Although these are injuries that can be relatively easy to heal
with time, time was not in my favor. I was told I would have to have surgery
and couldn’t practice for at least two weeks after the surgery. This was
detrimental to hear, I didn’t want to let my team down or miss the arguably
most important competition of the season. All 6 competitions leading up to this
point in the season were mostly just practice for Worlds. Therefore, missing
this competition due to injury would be devastating. The doctors had told me
that if not given enough time my concussion could turn to brain swelling,
permanent brain damage, or worse. For this reason, I sacrificed those two weeks
of practice to ensure that I wasn’t making any life-threatening mistakes. Driven
by my passion for the sport and desire for success I downplayed the severity of
these injuries and what could happen if I practiced and competed only two weeks
later. I had to make an extremely difficult decision of whether to cut my
recovery short and risk further injury or miss the most important competition,
letting both my teammates and myself down. I decided to hold off on practicing
for two weeks and wait to get surgery until after the competition. This could
have affected the permanent structure of my nose and led to further
irreversible damage. Therefore, I was facing a major internal battle throughout
making this decision.
This
injury presented a major clash of discourses within my life. These discourses
being the battle between my commitment to cheerleading and the second being the
value of my health and wellness. This injury, if not properly taken care of,
could have permanently altered my cognitive health and development. On the
other hand, I did not want to lose a full year of blood, sweat, and tears that
I succumbed to practice for this competition and my team. This was an extremely
hard decision for me to make as I didn’t want to sacrifice my health, but I
didn’t want to give up cheer for the season either. I decided to take extreme
safety precautions but continue practicing before I was fully healed. I was
determined to finish the season with my team and commit to the promise I made
when I joined the team. Many aspiring cheerleaders are willing to embrace physical
demands and often downplay the risks associated with cheerleading. This is how
I felt in my experience. I was willing to accept the potential for further
injury due to my passion and dedication to the sport. Vince Lombardi said, “The
price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the
determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of
ourselves to the task at hand” (Lombardi). I believe that this depicts some of
the emotion I was experiencing, my team and I wanted to do well, and in order
to do so we had to give everything we had into our practices and competition. I
believe this shows my character and love for cheerleading. Although it may not
have been the “right” decision, I do not regret it and am thankful I had the
opportunity to compete with my team. Everyday athletes are faced with clashing
discourses similar to mine. Often their future of playing their sport is
questioned. It often leads to an extreme internal battle that leads to
self-discovery and self-improvement. This decision led me to realize the true
commitment and passion I had for cheerleading.
This clash of discourse surfaced many
of my values and caused me to further evaluate my priorities. Being able to
analyze what is important to me through a new lens helped me appreciate different
discourses in my life more. It helped me realize how highly I valued
cheerleading. It helped me realize that I had to continue to persevere through
any difficult times and not doubt my commitment to the sport. This clash of
discourse helped me throughout many decisions in my life. My discourse revolved
around resilience, determination, and mental and physical recovery. It taught
me a lot about myself as an athlete and as an individual. This experience
taught me a lot about myself and who am as a person. It helped me learn about
my commitment, values, and what I hold at utmost importance in my life. Before
this experience I didn’t realize the discourse that is present in my daily
life. I didn’t realize the value I held in cheerleading, teamwork, commitment,
dedication, and more. It helped me understand more about my love for the sport
I had competed in my whole life and how much it meant to me. This clash of
discourses I experienced almost 5 years ago still affects my life and the
decisions I make to this day. It not only brought my values to light, but it
helped me see the other discourses that are present in my life.
In conclusion, the clashing
discourses after my injury in cheerleading are the result of the complex
interplay of physical demands and emotional challenges. Addressing these
internal conflicts altered my life and the perspectives I hold. This experience
despite its hardship presented me with the ability to grow and incorporate positive
change. As contradicting as it may sound, I am very thankful for the injury
that led me to an awakening experience and journey through self-discovery.
Reflection:
1)
I think the free
writes were the most impactful in helping me learn more about discourses in my
life. Some of them allow me to do more self-discovery and pinpoint things that
have altered my perspective in life. Another thing that helped me understand
the topic the most was going to the writing center. Rather than helping me with
writing specifically, the individual I worked with helped me understand
discourse and how it plays a role in their life. I used this as an example to
form my discourse and how it has changed my life and what aspects led to this
change. All of the work we did in this unit could signify discourse and show
how we continued to learn about it throughout the course.
2)
I am
understanding analysis/argument differently now than I was at the beginning
than I did at the beginning of the course because I have seen the passion and
dedication used by people in the media that we listened to/read. The podcast we
listened to about horseshoe crabs helped me understand how to bring evidence
and explanation to the claims we are making. The creator of that podcast had
multifaceted evidence and reasoning to back up their claim. I believed that
this helped me improve my ability to bring more evidence, reasoning and
explanation to the claims I am making throughout my writing.
3)
The
role of the readings incorporated personality and inspiration into the content
of the unit thus far. The writings and work we have done so far incorporated passion
and allowed us to write through personal experiences. While having reasoning to
support our topic.
4)
I decided to
quote the phrase from Vince Lombardi because it shows the dedication and
commitment that is required for competitive cheerleading. And that although it
is tasking and we might not always finish in first place, knowing that we tried
our best and did everything we could was almost as important to us.
5)
I completely
changed paths from the first time I was drafting this project. I started
writing about something that I wasn’t passionate about and knew I had to change
it to something that I could write about endlessly. If I wrote about something
mundane in my life it wouldn’t depict my best writing abilities because I would
be uninterested in the topic. I articulated injury and cheerleading and how
this clash of discourse affected the rest of my life.
6)
I really like the
emotional aspect of my piece, if I had more time I would work on the
organization of my thoughts and how to better structure it.
Comments
Post a Comment