Unit 2 Rough Draft

 

Carlee Bears

WRT

Unit 2 Assignment

Discourse is a very complex concept in which it presents a plethora of meanings behind it. Depicting countless experiences and life-altering occurrences in everyday life. Discourse shapes our culture and develops belonging in the world. Without this there would be a lack of personalization and a shearing sense of belonging for all beings. Discourse presents us with our key values and shapes our views on the world. This morphs our beliefs to be different than others and forms our sense of individuality. As individuals with versatile personalities, we belong to many different discourses to form who we are as people. Our identities/personalities are formed through our incorporation of discourse. Community, culture, identification, personality, and overall existence, being formed through discourse makes it unrecognized throughout our lives. This construction of our personality comes to light when two of our discourses meet and possibly clash. This meaning that two aspects of our values, beliefs, attitudes, interaction styles, uses of language, or ways of being in the world interact and form a negative encounter. In my experience, I had a clash of discourses when I travelled to Martinique. This is a small island in the British Virgin Islands. On this island I had to battle between two different uses of language and toggle between the two.

              We travelled to the British Virgin Islands when I was about 15 years old. At this time I was still very young but I was taking a language and learning to speak French which is what they speak in these islands. Everything was going well on this trip. Not only is the language between the two places different but our culture compared to theirs is polarly different as well. This truly brought me to see my customs, values, and beliefs into a new light. It allowed me to see aspects of my life that I did not notice before as they were hidden but still major parts of my life. Through this trip I not only learned about a new culture but I learned so much more about my own as well.

Comments

  1. You are off to a solid start. I would say the intro is a little repetitive, and you could take the concept of discourse and compress it while expanding on your experience. Also, I would relate to the culture you're familiar with and how it compares and contrasts with that of Martinique.
    -Andrew D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely relate to this issue as I took French class all throughout high school and it was definitely a struggle. I think you did a great job introducing the discourse you experienced but I think you could expand on it even more. Maybe adding a specific anecdote from your time in Martinique when you faced the different culture, language, community, etc. Also maybe add visuals to enhance the readers understanding of the discourse. Overall, great job.
    -Eli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Library History